Think Globally, Act Locally
This is the guiding principle of the Georgia Youth Sustainability Conference, a completely student-led event. We believe in the power of youth leadership and their ability to drive change. From planning the conference to organizing workshops and presentations, students take ownership of every aspect of GYSC. This unique approach not only empowers participants but also fosters a sense of ownership and responsibility for creating a sustainable future. GYSC is a platform where student voices are heard, ideas are nurtured, and the next generation of sustainability leaders emerges.
Is the event open to both the general public and students?
Georgia Youth Sustainability Conference (GYSC) is for middle and high school students.
Free admission for school teachers & school eco club sponsors.
Companies, colleges, non-profits and student-led clubs working on sustainability in their respective fields are welcome to set up booth at the conference.
What are the different ways someone can help?
- Share this flyer, register yourself / your children for the conference.
- Companies with sustainability initiatives, please consider setting up a booth. Offer internships and volunteering opportunities or showcase your company initiatives.
- Encourage children to write their sustainability experiences for our blog. Email your 400 – 500 word articles and photos to email@example.com
- Record an interview for our podcast. Interview school eco clubs or other organizations about their sustainability efforts.
- Follow us on Instagram @gysustconf.
Are there special provisions or offers for student registration?
Yes, students can use the “earlybird” promo code for a $10 discount until September 30th. They can decide to bring their own lunch or pay in advance. For groups of five students, there’s a 50% discount. Registration Link
A quick note: We’re no longer taking student volunteers.
Why should one consider attending this conference?
This is a chance for students to understand the real-world application of their classroom knowledge about the environment. By attending, they’ll earn an 8-hour volunteer certificate, meet peers, and learn about various internships and volunteer slots. Also, there’s the GYSC Champion trophy up for grabs for the school with the highest number of attendees!
I'm part of an eco-friendly organization. How can we participate?
Organizations focusing on green initiatives can showcase their commitment and work by setting up a booth. Booth Registration Link
What aims and goals does this conference hope to achieve?
Our mission with GYSC is multi-fold:
- Create a secure, youth-driven environment for diverse climate discussions.
- Promote education and teamwork to shape sustainability blueprints for educational institutions and communities.
- Make climate education more accessible and foster a sustainability-based ethos among middle and high schoolers.
Will there be non-student speakers?
Certainly! We have a lineup of speakers from the United Nations Atlanta Chapter, the US Green Building Council, and more, including seasoned educators, university professors, and undergraduate students. Stay tuned, as we’ll release the full agenda by mid-October.